What is Toenail Fungus?
Toenail fungus, also known as onychomycosis, is a common condition treated by a podiatrist. It’s an infection underneath your toenails, caused by a fungus.
How You Can Develop Toenail Fungus
The fungus lives in warm, moist environments like public pools, gyms, and locker rooms. You can develop toenail fungus when your bare skin comes into contact with the fungus.
Signs and Symptoms of Toenail Fungus
As the fungus begins to grow, it causes changes to the appearance of your toenails. The fungus will start as a small white or yellow spot and grow bigger as it burrows under your toenails. The fungus causes your toenails to look darker, thicker, crumbly, and deformed. Severe toenail fungus can become uncomfortable.
Prevention of Toenail Fungus
Remember that you can do a lot to prevent toenail fungus by taking a few simple precautions. You should always:
- Keep your feet clean and dry
- Use foot powder to reduce sweating
- Wear moisture-wicking socks or open shoes
- Wear flip-flops in public areas like showers and swimming pools
- Examine your nails, toes, and feet daily
How Your Podiatrist Can Treat Toenail Fungus
There are many over-the-counter products to treat toenail fungus, but the best, permanent toenail fungus treatments are available at your podiatrist. Professional toenail fungus treatments your podiatrist may recommend include:
- Laser and light therapy to kill the underlying fungus permanently
- Prescription oral antifungal medications to kill the fungus and help you grow a healthy, new toenail
- Prescription medicated nail polish or cream to treat and kill the underlying fungus
- Removing the infected nail surgically to allow a new, healthy nail to grow
Want To Know More About Toenail Fungus?
To learn more about the causes, signs, symptoms, and treatment of toenail fungus, call Dr. Matthew Ward and Dr. Christian Haight at Marietta Podiatry Group in Marietta, GA. You can reach them in the office by calling (770) 422-9856, so call today.